Friday, May 15, 2009

PM: "A Greater Increase In Suffering"

Kevin devised a genius workout for our Friday night class. I might be wrong, but I do believe his programming is getting even better.

5 Rounds For Time:
20 Wall Ball
20 Sit-ups
20 KB/DB Swings
400 meter run

23:13

So I was kinda proud of myself. Of the 4 of us working out tonight, I was the first to finish this workout despite extending my first lap on the track by a good 100 meters. We ran behind the childcare center. Bella was out there and saw me running and started shouting "go, mommy, go!" and I was so tickled by the whole thing that I kept going, right past the cut-thru I was supposed to take to get back to the gym. Oh well!

I had enough of a lead on that first round that I still ran back first on round 1, and managed to keep my lead despite some really stiff competition from Matt, who was working pretty hard to catch me. By the last run my chest was burning, my heart felt like it was going to explode, and I had to pee so freakin' bad.

Still, I was proud that I held off Matt. Actually, I just realized I came in second to Harv, but he was subbing 400 meters of rowing for the running, so it wasn't a totally equivalent workout.

After we all collapsed and left our sweat angels on the floor Kevin started talking about the workout and running. He was saying that when you are just out for a moderate run, you don't really suffer. You jog along, moderating your pace to your ability, checking things out, la di da. But when you force yourself to run after a massive load of wall balls, sit ups and swings, you go into the run already suffering, and the run just adds a greater increase in suffering. And that's how this workout got it's name.

Right up there with Fight Gone Bad.

No comments: