Thursday, May 21, 2009

AM: Cardio | Upper Body

So today turned into a cardio day. I met Alison at the gym for a spin class...this instructor is new to me, but she did a good job, and I sweated buckets. The class was focused on progressive hills so it was all about power output.

After class, Alison had to go get her dress shopping on (I want pictures, Alison) and I was sort of debating between going home and attempting the Crossfit WOD.

As I was walking through the gym, contemplating my options, I ran into Deanne, another super cool friend. She wanted to do some cardio, so after snack time and recovery, I jumped on the treadmill for half an hour of walking with her. Kept the speed low, 3.5-4 mph, but the incline was between 8-12%, so it was more glute work.

We went upstairs and did some upper body work...not a lot, just enough to say we did something:

I did:
Shoulder Press - 3 sets, 12 reps @ 50#
Bench Press - 3 sets, 8 reps @ 85, 95, 100

Then Deanne showed me some of the ab work she does and it totally kicked my ass. She does this thing where she holds a weighted ball on the tops of her feet and holds her torso and legs in a just-off-the-ground-hover position, then brings everything up into a v-up. Well, lets just say I do not have her core stability, because my ball kept falling off and rolling away. It was kinda sad, actually. Deanne gave me her ball, saying, "here, use this, it's exactly the right size," so I tried it, and the ball still fell of my feet and rolled away.

I really should do more ab work...my abs look good, but that's primarily because my genetics predispose me to store fat anywhere but my abs and chest, so when I'm pretty leaned out they pop nicely. That does not, however, mean that they are super strong functionally. I think if I keep doing Kevin's core class I'll improve on that, though.

No comments: