Wednesday, May 20, 2009

AM: Spin Class | NW Qual WOD

AM Spin class with Sue. Great interval work! I got so freakin' sweaty that after about 15 minutes I stripped down to my bra.

Brief aside: can I just say that I am so glad I spent the money on the Lululemon bras? At $42 they are certainly not cheap, but they actually make me look like I have two distinct boobs. All other sports bras I tried gave me one very flat uni-boob. Now I don't expect a bra to work miracles, no matter what it might be called, but the lulu bra gives a little help to the girls and make me feel great and non-boyish when I'm at the gym. I also figure I would pay $42 for a normal bra-type bra, and since 5 or 6 days a week, my sport bra IS my normal bra, I might as well get the right one. Cheaper than breast implants, right?

Ok, back to spin class. It was awesome, as usual. Afterwards, awesome instructor Sue asked if I had kids and I said yes and she bascially said my abs looked too good to have had kids. Then she asked if I had ever thought of doing body modeling. Oh my god, what a complement! So we got to talking and it turns out Sue has done some photo shoots herself (she has a HOT body and is also super pretty, so I'm not really surprised) so she said when the pictures are in, she would pass them on to her agent. I was thinking if they turned out really great I'd maybe have a shot at the crossfit site, but who knows? I don't realistically think that fitness or body modeling is in my future, but I'm super flattered that Sue would even think of that.

Anyway, so after I recovered from spin, I went upstairs to attempt the WOD from last Saturday's NW Crossfit Qualifiers.

As Rx:

5 rounds for time:
3 muscles-ups MEN / 2 muscles-ups WOMEN
30 wall ball: 20 lb medicine ball MEN / 12 lb medicine ball WOMEN
6 sumo deadlift high-pull: 60k MEN / 40k WOMEN

So after fooling around, attaching various handles to the squat rack, it became clear that my attempts to practice muscle ups at my gym were not going to work. I doubt I could have gotten one, but it would have been nice to do the skill work anyway.

So I subbed out bar dips at 3:1 for the muscle ups and lowered the weight across the board on the WOD and got this:

5 rounds for time
6 bar dips
30 wall ball: 10 lb medicine ball (Rx weight was 12 lb. but we had 8 and 10 lb. balls, so I got off easy)
6 sumo deadlift high-pull: 75# (the 40 k Rx weight would have been 88 pounds, so this was quite a bit lighter)

12:35

Hard workout. I really should have cowgirled up and done the SDHP with Rx weight. I could have handled it at 85 or 90 lb. Next time I know.

Here's the results from the broads who did the workout as Rx at the Quals:

WOMEN

Points
Strength (KG) WOD time
Rank Name Affiliate Total Strength WOD
Deadlift Press (mm:ss.ms)
1 Vale, Charity CrossFit Snohomish 200 100 100
140 52 11:37.0
2 Olson, Jennifer 197 99 98
145 44 16:02.0
3 Verbrugghe, Nicole' Gravity Janes CrossFit 186 87 99
110 37 15:39.0
4 Kellams, Jennifer CrossFit HEL 186 91 95
115 40 19:39.0
5 Moe, Ashleigh Mt. Baker CrossFit 180 84 96
105 38 18:06.0
6 Pappas, Kallista 176 79 97
105 36 17:18.0
7 Klumpar, Carrie CrossFit Eastside 168 74 94
90 41 19:57.0

All these women are far stronger athletes than I am, so that tells me my mod's really must have been significant. Obviously a bar dip is NOT the same as a muscle up. Still, I'm happy with my time!

No comments: