Saturday, April 4, 2009

Countdown to 30: 32 Days to Go

4/1 Starting Point: 157.0/27% Unadjusted Body Fat (my actual body fat is probably 17%)
4/2: 155.0/27% UABF
4/3: 155.2/27.5% UABF
4/4: 154.6/27.5% UABF

Played a little golf today at the pitch and putt and did some gardening, but no gym time. Taking this as a down day. A series of double-workout days have left me needing some recovery time and one of my BIG goals for this season is to train smarter so I end up with less sick & down time due to overtraining.

To that end, I am moving away from my previous season's training methodology wherein I did the WODs as best I could while grinding out sprint-distance amounts of long slow swim, boke or run cardio on an almost daily basis.

I am instead embracing the crossfit endurance programming, which uses a lot more fast interval work along with some tempo work to get an endurance base built with a LOT less stress on the body. There's a part of me that is skeptical -- can a workout regime that never trains you up to or past your distance really prepare you for your distance? really? -- but so far crossfit programming has rarely failed to deliver what it promises. So I'm going to be working in a lot more wind sprints and a lot less long slow distance. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: