Sunday, April 12, 2009

Countdown to 30: 24 Days to Go

4/1: 157.0
4/2: 155.0
4/3: 155.2
4/4: 154.6
4/5: 154.8
4/6: 154.2
4/7: 153.2
4/8: 154.8
4/9: 152.6
4/10: 151.2
4/11: 153.2
4/12: 152.2

Moving average is on my side, and despite yesterday (chocolate and port night at my house - oh my!) and tonight (Easter dinner with AWESOME roasted potatoes and leftover mass chocolate dessert) I've been sticking to pretty clean food, in not insane portions. Also have made it to the gym, so I feel pretty good about the program, even if I haven't been doubling up many days like I was my first week back on.

Today I did the mainsite WOD: 30 Muscle Ups for Time. Since I can't do a MU, I had to sub 1:4 and go with 120 pull-ups/120 dips. I sent in a pic that demonstrated how the pull-ups turned out for me....massive blood blister. I went for 20 sets of 6 pull-ups/dips and the blister showed up on set 18 so I gingerly worked through the rest hanging by my findertips and managed not to pop it, so that's good.

I felt good about the kip: until I got pretty fatigued I was holding a better form and not overarching my back. I found it helped to deliberately try to make the reps faster and take the "rest" of the back swing out of it....tightened up my kip a lot. Until about set 16, then everything was hard.

Still, I thought a 12:30-ish finish was pretty good since I haven't done volume pull-ups since the shoulder injury--almost 3 months, I'd guess. And speaking of the shoulder, it held up great!

After the mainsite I rested a few minutes and did the XFit Endurence WOD. I know I'm supposed to break them up, but sometimes there's not time for two gym sessions in one day, yo! So I did the lactate shuffle workout:

5 min run / 2.5 min recover - 7 mph
6 min run / 3 min recover - 7.1 mph
7 min run / done! - 7.1 mph

I notice the XFE stuff is really helping me push my speed up. And much like the kip, on the second round something just happened with the pose and the first several minutes it was like I was a gazelle - I felt like one of those people who looks comfortable running. Thats a very new thing for me. Didn't last past about minute 4, but I held on as long as I could, and got it back for about the first 4 minutes of round 3 too! This was a great workout. Just the right amount of ass kicking....a little leg and a lot mental.

No comments: