Friday, July 11, 2008

Greenlake, The Lake So Nice I Ran It Twice

Maybe I was feeling guilty about the skipped 10K from yesterdays Crossfit WOD. In any event, this morning I drove to greenlake and ran that biatch twice. Okay, so by the second half of the second lap I was talking walk breaks (5 minute run-30 second walk). So, through most of it gazelle like creatures leaped past me, comfortably chatting away with their running buddies while I cranked up the funk on the iPod to drown out the sound of my own labored breathing. So I thought really hard about turning back for my car as I passed it 1/8th of the way into lap 2. Who care, right? I had to take walk breaks not that long ago for one lap of Greenlake. There will always be faster runners. I did not quit. That's the point, right? Hell yeah that's the point.

So my not-quite-10K time trial came in at 1:01:25, and I'm pleased to say I did not foul: my first lap was 31 minutes (including a brief stop to chat with some obvious triathletes wriggling into wetsuits at the lake edge.) and I finished in just under 62 minutes. The 5.6 miles I ran is almost exactly 9K, actually, so scaling my time I would estimate my current 10K time to be 69 or 70 minutes.

No comments: