Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 20: 4000 meter farklek

10 laps of the track, walk/run/jog/sprint as energy & body desired. In practice this ended up being a warm up walk lap, brisker walk lap, jog lap, several sprint laps with various sprint distances (from about 200 meters to probably 80) and recovery distances (also from about 200 to 80), intermittent 350-400 meter jog laps, and several cool down jog/walk laps towards the end.

This was a truly wonderful way to get out there, play and move without a feeling of drudgery or necessitated pace. I was just listening to my iPod, going as I felt comfortable, and more often than I would have thought, what felt good were those interval sprints. I haven't been able to really push my heart rate with spin class or the cardio WODs so doing some nice hard sprints felt great...like I was making my heart work, but still within the context of listening to my body.

Relatedly, my Dr. gave me the green light yesterday to do pretty much whatever I wanted athletically as long as I stayed away from impact sports that could lead to trauma to the core area...ie, no basketball, volleyball, etc. But she said as long as I listened to my body, and didn't push anything to the point I hurt myself, there was nothing I could pick-up, push or deadlift that would hurt the baby! Yeah! So I can continue to do heavier weighted squats and DL, as long as I mind my own back stability. Coolio.

No comments: