Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Plan the Work; Work the Plan

Well, a plan only works if you work it, so I’m proud to say that the past two days I have followed my tri training schedule pretty closely. Since I actually started the plan on a Tuesday, I did Monday’s Tri components and a full body fighter-style workout to get caught up. The only thing I skipped was yoga, and I’m okay with that tradeoff.

I’ve been in the pool everyday since I made my plan, and I’m pretty sure I was in the water Monday too. I’ve also been checking out the Total Immersion principles for efficient swimming, and have ordered the TI book on basic swimming and tri swimming. I’m very excited to read over ideas behind the technique, and to start the drills on balance and coordination. YouTube has several videos of the TI principles being demo’ed, and even those have helped me understand body position a bit more.

Psychologically I think the swimming is falling more into line, too. Even though it remains difficult, and my breathing is still not seemless, it is rewarding to feel somewhat more comfortable in the pool after only 2 or 3 days. There are stretches--one or two laps at a time--when I feel really comfortable, like I could do this swimming thing for a long time. Then I misjudge and swallow a bunch of water, but at least I’m not totally winded after 4 strokes, like I was before I started working with my awesome Swim Coach (hi, mom!) and doing my research into more efficient body position.

It’s interesting: to be a good runner or a good cyclist it seems like it mostly takes time in the shoes or saddle, just doing the sport enough that your muscles adapt and get strong in that motion and your cardio can support the level of endurance you are looking for. Swimming, based on my very limited knowledge and research, seems to me more like golf. Sure, being strong and powerful is important, especially at the elite level, but the most important thing is to consistently position your body so that your swing (or stroke) seems to effortlessly achieve the goal of an accurate shot (or a sustainable, enjoyable swim). I guess it shouldn’t be too surprising that controlled torso rotation plays a huge roll in both sports.

All this training is good for Nick, too: I tend to fall asleep more easily! Off to bed I go!

No comments: