Sunday, December 9, 2007

Jingle Bell Fun Run

D and I ran the Seattle Jingle Bell Fun Run this morning, and both posted our personal best for a 5k! I came in at 30:14, which averages just under 9:30/mile. Early this year, I ran the St. Patrick’s Day Dash 33:46, so I’ve shaved about a minute per mile off my time. Yeah! I’ll take it!

The route took us around the Westlake area of downtown Seattle and up along the I-5 express lanes. One of my favorite parts of these kooky races is running along roads that would normally be completely pedestrian inaccessible. Just inside the express lane tunnel, an ongoing round of “Jingle Bells” was sung out by the runners, kept going through-presumably-the full duration of the race until the last of the runners made it out of the tunnel. It was fun and communal and kinda sweet to be part of 11,000 people singing the same happy holiday song.

The costumes were fun (more Santa hats than you could shake a stick at) and the weather was very cold, but clear. As I came out of the tunnel at about mile 2.5, little flurries of snow were falling outside. It was just enough snow to make the moment seem really quite magical, without making the running any more difficult.

After the run, we met up with Nick and Bella and consumed mass quantities of Dim Sum at Jade Garden in the ID. Great way to spend a morning!



No comments: