Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Kettlebell Swimgs

I did Josh Hillis’ Fighter Workout for Fat Loss today. Here’s how it works:
Kettlebell (or Dumbbell) Swings - as many as you can for 1 minute
Pushups - as many as you can for 1 minute
Kettlebell Swings - as many as you can for 1 minute
Pushups - as many as you can for 1 minute
Kettlebell Swings - as many as you can for 1 minute
Rest for 3 Minutes. Repeat 3 Times.

Doesn’t seems like that much, really. 5 minutes of “on” time and 3 minutes of rest time. Seems like one of those things that might be kinda tough while you’re doing it, but should be relatively easy to bust out. At least, that’s what I was thinking. Oh, the arrogance of the kettlebell swing virgin. This is hard. Maybe minute-for-minute the hardest workout I’ve ever done. It is now several hours after my workout and I’ve refueled and rehydrated my body, and still all I want to do is take a nap.

I guess that’s the difference between this kind of workout and an intense, single-body part focused workout. Let’s say I burn through a back-and-bi workout, and I push hard. For a couple hours by bicep’s will hurt--maybe I’ll feel ‘em the next day. For a couple of days, probably, my back will have that workout soreness. With these full body moves, I can’t say that some single part of me will be sore tomorrow--but all of me is exhausted right now. Hat’s off to Josh--that guy knows how to put together one ass-kicker of a workout. If I lived in Denver I’d hire him as my trainer.

So after going on and on about how hard kettlebell swings are, I will admit I didn’t actually use a kettlebell. I did the dumbbell variant--no idea how much harder a proper kettlebell would make the move. I asked a rockstar trainer at my gym why we didn’t have kettlebells and he laughed and muttered something about people hitting themselves in the head with them. Apparently spherical heavy things are far more dangerous than regular ol’ dumbbells. It’s a miracle the bowling alley doesn’t see more brainings, I guess.

No comments: