Friday, March 26, 2010

Week 16: Functional Fitness Friday

Kevin's Friday Class...I bitched when I saw the set up. Mat's for sit ups and jump-ropes. The two exercises I CAN'T do. But we moved me to a ball for sit ups, and the jump ropes turned out to be single unders so those were fine. At this point my biggest concern with jumping rope isn't fear for the baby but concern that I'll pee from all that damn hopping.

So here's what he ran us through:

5 rounds, each round 3 minutes with one minute rest between rounds

In each 3 minute round, complete the following cycle as many times as possible:
20 swings (I used a 25# plate, the guys were stuck with a 45#!)
10 lunges (5 per side)
20 jump ropes
20 sit-ups

Most people, including myself, were coming in just shy of two rounds. Our youngest, fittest guy was pulling out just over 2 rounds, so I think this particular workout was just speed limited.

After this workout I DID NOT feel good. The speed sit-ups bothered me, and the intensity push in general left me feeling tight and pained all across my lower tummy area. NOT ok. The ball sit-ups I did the day before in core class were identical, but not nearly as quick, so I think the motion itself wasn't as much the problem as how quickly it was performed. So I'm definitely backing down intensity in class from here on out. On my own it's not a problem to pace myself more, but in class I get all excited and want to push harder...but it's so not worth it. The tight feeling was really scary and I don't want to risk anything.

No comments: